Skin Difference Report & $this->ipsclass variables

Guest Michael

Would it be possible to add an option into the Skin Differences Report tool to allow you to skip all changes between the ipb.vars/lang/member/etc. variables and the $this->ipsclass variables? This would really help skinners a lot in being able to convert their 2.1.x skins to 2.2.x. Right now, if you run a diff report between 2.1.7 and 2.2.1, you get like 436 different templates, but these are almost all caused by just these variables changes, and running the Template HTML Logic tool in the Admin CP should already take care of all of those.

Why not just run the template conversion tool FIRST, and then run the differences report. :)

We're using a PEAR package for the differences report, and I don't think it would be very easy to tell it to skip ipb. vs $this->ipsclass->. I haven't looked at the code, but I suspect it would be much easier to just change the order of your skin update handling myself.

The difference report pulls from the database (not the xml file) - it pulls where skin set id = 1 (for the current default templates) and then for whatever skin set id you selected to run the report against.

The contents of the skin templates are then compared, and the PEAR difference report is run. Then the next template bit is checked. If there is a template bit at all for the skin set, it must be customized (because otherwise it inherits from skin set id 1).

So, if you run the template conversion tool on your skin set, then run the difference report, it will work as I said. :) If the only differences are ipb vs this->ipsclass - they would have been converted by the tool, and wouldn't be picked up when checking the difference report (theoretically).

I guess maybe I'm not making myself clear, you can't run the template conversion tool in the scenario I'm trying to describe. Say your board is running 2.2.1. You want to find out what the changes in the skin are from 2.1.7. So you go to the Look & Feel tab -> Skin Differences page. Under the 'Create New Skin Difference Report' section, you browse to the 2.1.7 ipb_templates.xml file to compare it to your current board's skin. You can't run this template conversion tool on that XML file.

Archived